Dear Friends of the Peace,
Thank you to all who have come out to our recent events and/or shown your support in so many other ways like donating, sharing information and taking action. The momentum for this campaign to protect the Peace River Valley grows daily!
The Treaty 8 Justice Caravan had a fantastic, successful launch on Monday morning. We had a number of speakers including UBCIC Grand Chief Stewart Philip and his wife Joan Philip who drove all the way up from Vancouver just to attend the launch and provide words of encouragement and support.
The caravan will be in Montreal on Monday, September 12th, the date that the West Moberly and Prophet River First Nations’ court case will be heard at the Federal Supreme Court. There are a number of events for supporters in the Montreal and Ottawa areas to join as well as a webinar that anyone can join.
On September 10th, allies across the province will be participating in a Day of Action to make sure as many people as possible are paying attention to the court case and the Caravan! A dozen creative action teams across the province will be joined by teams of canvassers to educate and engage the public – and then we’ll gather at 5 pm for a community potluck in English Bay in Vancouver to talk about where we go from here! The solidarity events are happening in the Peace Region as well as in Vancouver, Kelowna and Victoria on Saturday, September 10th. Details for all events are below.
Justice for the Peace Solidarity Events
(The hyperlinks will lead you to the Facebook event sites. The most up-to-date list of events and actions can be found on the Facebook page (https://facebook.com/events/284272641934507). Please share!
If you do not have access to Facebook, you will find information about some of the events by scrolling down the page at the RAVEN Trust website here.)
Saturday, September 10th in Fort St. John area:
- Paddle up the Peace River – Launch at Bear Flat on Hwy 29. 9:30 am – 6 pm
- Launching canoes/kayaks and will paddle to the Rocky Mountain Fort for lunch. Bring your own lunch and water. Bring a sign to leave at the Fort site. We will continue down the river to Taylor Boat launch. Paddle takes approximately 5-6 hours. We will be accompanied by a river boat for paddlers safety.
Saturday, September 10th in Kelowna:
- Solidarity action in Kelowna at the farmer’s market, 9:30 am – noon
- We will be meeting outside the market with clipboards and petitions. Please join us!
Saturday, September 10th in Victoria:
- Chalk mural in Victoria, near the Legislature, 11-4 pm
- Join us to draw a mural of the Peace River in Victoria! Please bring chalk.
Saturday, September 10th in Vancouver area:
- Community Potluck – English Bay, 4-6 pm.
- Please bring food to share and your own eating utensils/plate.
- We’ll celebrate the success of the day, talk about what we want to see happen next, and share some delicious food. There will be opportunities to share your thoughts – bring your great ideas!
- “Yoga-thon” of 108 Sun Salutations – China Creek North Park 10 am – 1:30 pm
- Together we will go through 108 sun salutations, unified in a dedication of respect and love for the Peace River Valley. Please bring a mat and water bottle for yourself.
- Guerrilla Mural of the Peace River (drawn in chalk) – Downtown Vancouver – start in northwest corner of Robson and Burrard Street, heading west on Robson Street on the sidewalk. 7 am – 7 pm
- Anyone can be part of the Chalk Art Mural to draw the 83 m Peace River Chalk Mural in Downtown Vancouver that will start from Northwest corner Robson and Burrard Street going West on Robson Street on the sidewalk. Please bring chalk if you have some, especially blue & green!
- A Link to the Peace in New Westminster at the Quay, 12-3:30 pm
- Crafts for kids and adults – decorate a heart link which we will add to the chain and send to our allies in the North!
- Drums for Peace in Robson Square at 1 pm
- First Nations activist and elder Gordon August will be joined by drummers and singers to stand in solidarity with the Treaty 8. All are welcome to stand with us!
- Youth Voices for the Peace with Socialist Alternatives in English Bay, 1-5 pm:
- Celebrate young performers as they sing, dance and speak out for the protection of the Peace River Valley against the Site C Dam. Let’s come together and support the fight as youth give voice to their generation’s visions for a peaceful, sustainable future for all!
- Flash Action on Commercial Drive at 2 pm
- Bagpipes and banners – what could be better? We will have banners and signs, and be led by bagpipes – join us for a flash march up the Drive. Meeting at Commercial Skytrain Station at 2 pm sharp!
Monday, September 12th in Montreal:
- Montreal Solidarity Rally – Federal Court of Appeal 8 am – 9 am EDT
- A peaceful rally to show support for the West Moberly and Prophet River First Nations in their historic case to ensure that the Constitutional rights of Indigenous peoples cannot be ignored when governments make decisions about large-scale resource development projects.
Tuesday, September 13th in Ottawa:
- Parliament Hill Rally for the Peace River – Parliament Hill 10:30 am – 11:30 am EDT
- Join the Treaty 8 Justice for the Peace Caravan in urging Prime Minister Trudeau to keep his promises to respect the treaties, rebuild trust in the environmental assessment system and implement the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples.
- Live Webinar on the implications of the Site C legal struggle – University of Ottawa – 1 pm – 2:30 pm EDT
- Keeping the promise: Treaty rights, the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples and the Site C dam. Warch online or attend in person, Lamoureux Hall, LMX 243, University of Ottawa
- Ottawa Community Potluck & Feast – St. Paul’s-Eastern United Church 5 pm – 7 pm EDT
- Come show your support for the Treaty 8 Justice for the Peace Caravan as they arrive in Ottawa at the conclusion of their historic cross-country journey to defend the Peace River Valley. Those who are able, please bring a side dish or dessert to share.
If you would like to volunteer as a canvasser at any of these events, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
So many great opportunities to choose from! Hope you can make at least one of these events. We must stop this project!
Please share this email with your friends in the Ottawa and Montreal areas and encourage them to attend events in their area. The caravan crew are a wonderful bunch of people that would be thrilled to embrace the support!